James Lewis House
The James Lewis House was painted as a remembrance of the people who once lived in the Garden District of New Orleans between 1830 - 1860. These Northern Americans were known by many as moralists because of their Christian ethics. They moved to New Orleans because of the business opportunities produced by the port of New Orleans. In less than fifty years the ‘Jewel of the South’ became the wealthiest city in the United States. This prosperity ended within three weeks after the Civil War started. Many of these bright young entrepreneurs left the city never to return. But what they left behind was a legacy of some of the finest antebellum manors in the country. This painting is a tribute to their work of faith and their labor of love.