Cart 0

Gateway to the Cabildo

$ 25.00
The Cabildo was built in 1795 as the home of the Spanish Municipal Government in New Orleans. The building took its name from the governing body who met there - the "Illustrious Cabildo". The Cabildo was the site of the signing of the Louisiana Purchase and the transfer ceremonies in 1803.

In 1895 it was in a state of decay and proposed for demolition; artist William Woodward led a successful campaign to have the historic building preserved and restored.

In 1911 the Cabildo became the home of the Louisiana State Museum

Share this Product


More from this collection